Tuesday, April 21, 2015

More rhetoric...classmates readings

I'm finding that my definition of rheotoric or what I think it is, is mostly similar to my classmates posts.  However, by reading their posts I'm learning that it is used in a lot more situations than what I thought. Also, since learning about rhetoric and its use in writing and speaking, I'm finding out more and more what it's purpose seems to be. It can be used in speech's, papers, the news, and in conversations with people around us.  I'm seeing a huge use of rhetoric in the news. I find myself looking for the use of rhetoric in everything I encounter from day to day now. At home, we have a radio in the kitchen and it is always set to news radio.  So just sitting here working on my homework I am hearing the use of rhetoric in the news radio.  We fell asleep with the television on in our from the other night and I woke up at 2:00am to an infomercial and if I understand it correctly, I am seeing rheotoric being used to sell items on these infomercials that before watching you never thought you needed and after watching feel like you absolutely positively need that set of knives. One other classmate stated in her post that rhetoric can be used to convince someone that pasta would be good for dinner. I had that exact experience the other night when my girlfriend somehow convinced me that getting out of bed at 10:00 pm and going to cold stone for ice cream would be better than falling asleep.  So it would seem that rhetoric is used in every day experiences, not in just what we read and write.

No comments:

Post a Comment